Monday, October 12, 2009

the other side of Matt Dillon

From time to time, usually while showering or falling asleep at night, I'll fantasize about meeting a particular pop culture figure and play out a conversation - mostly one-sided - wherein I ingratiate myself to him or her in some small way that in my mind shows them that I'm a level-headed person who's treating them as a person rather than a celebrity. It's a comforting routine; not at all important, and fun to do. Ironically, meeting these types of people in real life usually ends up with me stumbling over my words and walking away wishing I could do it over again.
Example: this morning in the shower I spoke with Matthew Perry. We were in a hotel lobby.
Me: Hey man, when Friends was on, I got the Chandler comparison a lot.
Him: Oh really?
Me: Yeah, and I just wanted to let you know I always took it as a compliment. That was a good character, and you played him well.
Him: Thanks.
And, Scene.
I think this routine stems from a few things, not the least of which is the deep tureen full of pop culture knowledge I have stored in my brains, which apparently needs to be dunked into and poured into moment-sized bowls once in a while. Another root of these imagined run-ins is my inclination to view (some) celebrities as people who were once not celebrities, and that they are still those people, in some way. Matthew Perry auditioned for the role of Chandler; he was not guaranteed it. He waited (I imagine) for a callback. Part (maybe most) of him was not expecting a callback. That part of him still exists (hopefully). As usual, I am reminded of Star Wars. "I know there is good in him." So being reminded that he simply did a good job at his craft is something I assume (perhaps outrageously incorrectly) Matthew Perry would like to hear from a stranger.
At the Shannon Airport in Ireland in 2005, in the customs line, I noticed I was in front of Matt Dillon. I quickly stirred through my reference database for something that might make it worth turning around and engaging him. Go way back, I thought. Tex. The Outsiders. No, nothing unique to say about those. "You were really funny in There's Something About Mary." He's heard that. Matt Dillon...hmm...and as I began to wonder "wasn't he in My Bodyguard?" (he was) I tuned in to the realization that the man behind him had made his move. The topic was, of all things, the film Rumblefish, an early 80s black and white film that starred Dillon and Tom Waits and was directed by Francis Coppola. The man was a Rumblefish fan, from the sound of it, and Dillon sounded genuinely interested in talking with him. They commiserated over the film having a certain 'look', which Dillon attributed to Coppola shooting in color, then later transferring the print to black and white.
Though the line was still long, and there would have been time, I stopped trying to think of something to say. This guy on the other side of Matt Dillon had taken care of the job I assumed I was there to do.

No comments: