Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Showing The Wiz To A Class Of Third-Graders In 2005

Last night while aiming for sleep, a memory bubbled to the surface, of a bit of prose I wrote back when I was substitute teaching. The class was music, and to try to keep the third-graders occupied, I elected to show a video. I first tried Fantasia 2000, but they grew restless halfway through Rhapsody In Blue. Next I tried The Wiz. This wasn't any more successful. I couldn't blame them - it's not aged great for young audiences. I pointed out that The Scarecrow was Michael Jackson. They didn't believe me. They made some off-color cracks about Michael - third-graders yes, but these were city kids - and I realized that between their general exposure to Michael and this terrible film, a little history needed to be taught. When I was your age Michael Jackson was the biggest deal on Earth. When I was your age Michael Jackson wasn't weird or scary. Who's your favorite singer? Michael Jackson was more famous than them. He was the biggest star since Elvis Maybe that's why he didn't make it.

No comments: