Wednesday, June 10, 2009

10 & 2

CBS aired a news magazine program in the 80s called 48 Hours. In one episode they followed around a NYC cabbie as he worked. One moment in the feature stuck with me - the cabbie points out a driver in a car nearby and notes that they're driving with their hands locked in position at "10 & 2" - the position we are all told as driving students is proper at all times. He went on to say that he needs to get away from that car, that driver, because they are obviously crazy. He said that anyone driving with their hands in the "10 & 2" position is crazy.
I was about 14 when I saw this. I wouldn't have a driver's license for another 5 years (late bloomer). But I carried this nugget of cab driver wisdom with me and for a long time accepted it as gospel truth. This was partly because as an angsty youth, I enjoyed seeing somebody espouse a blatant disregard for 'rules' and partly because he was in NYC, which meant he was right.
Only a couple of years ago did a lightbulb flicker in my mind and I realized that that cabbie was most likely insane.

No comments: